Monday, May 14, 2007

Can A Debt Collector Call at All Hours?

Here is a question I received today:

Is it legal for a debt recovery service to call on Sunday at 8:40 p.m.? I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number,but looked it up on google. I also found a web site about this company with all negative comments. The of the company is: Portfolio Recovery, 120 Corporate Blvd.,Norfolk,Virginia 23502

The answer is: Yes, debt collectors can generally call between 8 am and 9 pm, so 8:40 pm isn't that late (though it's too bad they had to bother you on Mother's Day!)

Is this a debt you believe you owe? If so, then you need to develop a strategy for dealing with it. I would recommend two things:

1. Learn your rights at StopDebtCollectorsCold.com and
2. If you have multiple debts, read my free report for dealing with them at DebtConsolidationRX.com

It doesn't surprise me that Portfolio Recovery has bad remarks online -- most collection agencies do. That industry generates more complaints than any other. But what really matters is whether they have broken the law in trying to collect. If they have, then you may have legal recourse. If not, you'll need to find a way to resolve the debt and put the calls behind you!

No comments:

Creditbloggers » Expert Articles By Gerri Detweiler

Debt Collection Answers Blog

Business Credit Blog